2023 Eleusis European Capital of Culture and Yannis Houvardas are looking for twenty (20) volunteer performers, regardless of gender, for the new production Mystery 76 Don’t Look Back, that will take place at the Warehouses of the Old Olive Mill Factory of Elefsina in May 2023.
Application Deadline: 30 March 2023 at 23.00 (GMT +2).
The Open Call is addressed to non professional actors or other performers.
Conditions of Participation:
- The Open Call is addressed to all residents of Greece. Priority will be given to the people from Elefsina and the wider region.
- Age range: 25 to 50 years old.
- Good mobility is required.
- Knowledge of the English language will be positively considered.
- Due to the participatory nature of the project, team spirit and discipline will be taken into consideration.
Clarifications – Informations:
- During the performance the volunteer participants will be standing for several hours.
- Their participation will take place in rotation during the performances in groups of five (5) participants per performance (two performances per day).
- Their schedule includes an introductory meeting after Easter, three rehearsals in early May and three general rehearsals before the first performance.
A few words about the performance:
This command – which Hades, king of the underworld, imposed on Orpheus as the one and only condition for retrieving his beloved Eurydice and returning with her to the upper world, back to the land of the living – serves as the core theme of Don’t Look Back, a production to be presented as part of the 2023 Eleusis European Capital of Culture artistic programme. The Old Oil Mill Factory is set to be transformed into the abandoned and dilapidated Hotel Spectre, inside which the ghosts of the mythical lovers Orpheus and Eurydice are brought to life – in multiple incarnations embodying a range of ages – via a dream-like experience that traces the fateful moments of their tragic love story. Audiences enter and move through Hotel Spectre much as they would through any normal hotel, though in fact they begin their descent to Hades, following the phantoms that appear, play their part, and disappear again, thus entering into an immersive experience that walks the line between thriller, science fiction, and metaphysical performance. On exiting this shadowy realm, they partake in a contemporary celebration in which people of today twistedly mirror the likenesses of those mythical figures seen – as if in a dream – by audiences on their adventurous journey through Hotel Spectre.
CONCEIVED & WRITTEN BY:Yannis Houvardas (GR)
DRAMATURGY ASSOCIATE: Eri Kirgia
INTERIOR & SET DESIGN: Eva Manidaki
COSTUME DESIGN: Ioanna Tsami
ORIGINAL MUSIC: Thodoris Economou
MOVEMENT DIRECTION: Markella Manoliadi
LIGHTING DESIGN: Christina Thanasoula
PRODUCTION MANAGEMENT: Two Monkeys Productions (GR)
INTERPRETED: Giannis Vogiatzis, Stefania Goulioti, Karyofyllia Karabeti, Ioanna Kolliopoulou, Kostas Koronaios, Ektoras Lygizos, Rania Economidou, Pantelis Papadopoulos, Dimitris Papanikolaou, Kalliopi Simou, Apostolis Totsikas, Penelope Tsilika, Spyros Dogas, Konstantina Verrou
METHOD OF APPLICATION:
Please complete the application form.
Applications will close on 30 March at 23:00.
The pre-selection process will be carried out remotely based on the material submitted by each interested participant by the director Yannis Houvardas.
The final selection will take place through an in-person audition in Elefsina on April 1 & 2, 2023 from 13:00 – 19:00 (there will be a sub-group separation within this period based on availability), in the presence of the director Yannis Houvardas and his assistants.
Participation is voluntary and unpaid.