2023 Eleusis European Capital of Culture and Aerites Dance Company announce an Open Call for artists to participate in the Mystery 59 U(R)TOPIAS Academy of Choreography, in the framework of the Moving Europe program. Extension of the application deadline until October 20.
TO WHOM IS IT ADDRESSED?
The call is addressed to emerging artists active in the art of choreography and based in the broader region of Eleusis and Athens. A necessary condition for participation is the previous presentation of at least one of their own choreographic works.
A degree from a Higher Professional School of Dance or other institution/university in an artistic field will count positively but is not a prerequisite for participation in the U(R)TOPIAS Academy of Choreography. Applications from representatives of companies, groups, collectives, etc. will not be accepted. Dance school students who are still studying cannot participate in the program.
A very good knowledge of the English language is considered essential for attending the program.
A FEW WORDS FOR THE U(R)TOPIAS ACADEMY OF CHOREOGRAPHY
Within 2 years of intensive research and creation, the U(R)TOPIAS Academy of Choreography of 2023 Eleusis, under the artistic direction of Patricia Apergi, collaborated with 13 emerging artists, presented 13 new artworks, implemented 31 creative workshops, invited 27 mentors from Greece and abroad, hosted 100 programmers.
Through their participation in the Academy, the participant artists had the chance to meet and collaborate with renowned professionals in the field from Greece and abroad, to present their work to the invited programmers (Aerowaves/Atelier for Young Festival managers/independent curators), to participate in the opening ceremony of 2023 Eleusis with their own collective creation in front of thousands of people, and of course to cultivate in-depth their skills on composition and choreography.
Each emerging choreographer was asked to create his/her own personal utopia, his/her own no-place and present it as a choreographic work. The aim of the program was the highlight of Eleusinian landmarks through site-specific choreographic works that create a new map of the city.
PURPOSE OF THE PROGRAM
- To invest in the new generation of artists
- To focus on the diversity and personality of each artist
- To initiate an artistic dialogue that creates choices during the creative process
- To create a seminar model that opens new horizons for participants without losing their personality and uniqueness
- To give space to research and experimentation with artistic tools
- To collaborate with young people who are the future “strong voices” in dance
The duration of participation in the Academy of Choreography is two (2) years and includes seminars with renowned artists from Greece and abroad, intensive workshops, and presentations of students’ personal works in the Academy and in the public space of Eleusis. Twelve (12) participants will be selected to participate in the first year of the Academy and will present a 10-minute studio version of a work in progress. Six (6) of them will continue in the 2nd year, at the end of which they will be invited to present a 15-minute choreographic work of their own, in the public space of Eleusis.
In agreement with the Academy, it is possible for the remaining participants of the 1st year to continue attending the seminars of the 2nd year.
Attendance of all seminars of the program is free of charge.
HOW CAN I APPLY?
Applications for the program should be submitted by 20/10/23 (23:59) via the online platform at the link here by providing contact details, a CV (in the form of brief references and no longer than 2 pages), a letter of interest (up to 800 words) and a portfolio (up to 1GB) including at least one link to audiovisual material from previous choreographic work. For the application form, all mandatory fields must be filled in Greek or English.
Applications in which the video link is missing or not working, as well as late applications will be considered invalid and will not be accepted.
The selection of the participants will be made by a multi-member team of renowned professionals from Greece and abroad. The committee members will be announced soon. All applicants will receive a response email between 01-08/11.
The selection process of the artists will be completed after an interview.
It is not possible to send further clarifications in case of a negative evaluation.
WHAT DOES THE PROGRAMME COVER FOR PARTICIPANTS?
The U(R)TOPIAS Academy of Choreography gives emerging artists the opportunity to develop their ideas by providing:
- Expertise and guidance, covering the full spectrum of creating and producing a new choreographic work
- Practical and theoretical seminars from renowned professionals from Greece and abroad
- A 10-day residency in Eleusis for the 1st year and two 10-day for the 2nd year for each artist
- Feedback on the research and creative process
- Networking with other artists, programmers, and international networks for the artists of both years
- Budget (1.000€) for the production of the choreographic work for each participant of the 2nd year
- Provision of basic sound and lighting equipment for the creation of a new artistic work in the 2nd year
- Inclusion in one of the festivals of Eleusis (e.g. Aeschylia, Synikismos Festival, etc.) for the works created during the 2nd year
- Audiovisual recording of the project
- Promotion in social media and newsletters
The duration of the project is:
1) 1st year: December 2023-June 2024
2) 2nd year: October 2024-June 2025
For any information regarding the U(R)TOPIAS Academy of Choreography, the Open Call, and the online application, applicants can direct their questions exclusively by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Attendance of the seminars (intensive weeks) is compulsory and requires physical presence.
The 4 intensive weeks will have a duration of one week each and will take place during the whole year.The exact dates will be announced to the selected artists.
Travel expenses will be covered by the participants.
A production of 2023 Eleusis European Capital of Culture in the framework of the Moving Europe program.
The U(R)TOPIAS Academy of Choreography is carried out under the National Recovery and Resilience Plan Greece 2.0 with the co-funding of the European Union – NextGenerationEU.